Saturday, April 23, 2011

Falling for FEL

Of course it goes without saying that some day I would like to visit ComicCon in San Diego, CA. But that is not the only big conference I would like to participate in. I am looking forward to 2016 when ALA is finally back in Florida. However, what has really tweaked my interest is SXSW and TED. Both of these conferences have a decidedly techie friendly vibe and I have really enjoyed the posts Mashable has been kind enough to share about the events.

For this final Thing, I decided to check out what results the Florida Electronic Library (FEL) could come up with. I love how the results are divided up into tabs like Academic Journals, Magazines, and News; this would be really helpful if I was writing an article or paper on the topic and had to have specific sources (deja vu Grad School). Lexile numbers are given as well as citations which makes this a very valuable resource for students and teachers. The best thing is that it is free.

Click on the About Books tab and select Books & Authors for all kinds of information about fiction and non-fiction of all kinds. There is even a wizard to help suggest additional reads, though it couldn't seem to find a match for any of the books I read. I did find some suggestions for The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (so no vamps, faeries, elves, warlocks, witches, but at least we have zombies). I do however wonder how The Prince of Fenway Park by Juilanna Baggott can come up as a suggestion based on Fantasy and Monsters as the criteria, so guess it is not a great wizard and should maybe stay behind the curtain. (okay, so maybe it has curses and half-elves, but still not on the same level as a zombie apocalypse book.)

Despite the Books and Authors let down, I still like FEL because of my favorite four little word: free!

No comments:

Post a Comment